Health Professional Students for Health Access for the 99%
The American Medical Student Association (AMSA) has long fought for issues affecting the group of people that has now become known as the 99% - our neighbors, our colleagues, our patients, our families, the lucky and the less fortunate, everyone who makes up the patchwork quilt of the United States. Occupy Wall Street and the coinciding solidarity Occupations around the country and the world have brought popularity to the idea we must refocus our priorities away from the 1% of the population that hold almost a quarter of our nation's wealth and instead emphasize providing fair and equitable resources to the rest of us - whether through health care, education, access to food, housing, or any other of the myriad fundamental rights that are out of reach of so many. That our priority should be the 99%.
AMSA lends its voice in solidarity with the Occupy Movement in pursuit of equitable policies for the 99%. We ask you to contribute your voice as well by signing the petition below. Additionally, we encourage you to share any stories you might have about your experiences with the 99% - whether it's a personal story, a story about your friends or family, or based on a patient encounter. Lastly, if you'd like us to connect you with other health professional students in your area that have also expressed an interest in joining the movement, mark the appropriate box.
While the richest 1% continue to amass greater and greater wealth, the rest of the 99% sees our social safety net slashed with cuts to health programs, schools, food stamps, unemployment coverage, disability, student loans. Calls for the 1% to contribute their fair share, for us to rethink our policies and funding priorities, are met with cries of class warfare. Meanwhile, average Americans struggle to make ends meet, to provide food and shelter for their families, to pay for medications. They work themselves to the bone just to tread water, unable to get ahead and seeing the American dream slipping away for them and their families.
As this nation's future health professionals, we call on America to change its priorities. It's time to refocus on the people and potential of the 99%. To develop equitable policies that support all of us to work hard and earn a decent living. To be rewarded for our efforts. To be assured that our country will take care of us should we fall on hard times. And to give everyone the opportunity to be well.
We stand in solidarity with the Occupy Movements around this country and around the world. We stand in solidarity with the 99%. We stand in support of rights. We will stand and speak against those who continue to promote societal inequities that make all of us sicker. We will stand and we will not be silenced.
|Number||Date||Name||Location||If you have any stories ...|
|229||Tue Jun 03 00:43:33 EDT 2014||Katie VanNatta||Kansas City, MO|
|228||Wed Jun 13 13:48:58 EDT 2012||Jessica Stewart||Bellingham, WA|
|227||Fri Apr 27 01:31:49 EDT 2012||Rathi Asaithambi||TX|
|226||Tue Feb 07 17:45:09 EST 2012||Nisha Shah||CO|
|225||Sun Jan 08 21:40:14 EST 2012||marce abare||23438908324, MI|
|224||Mon Dec 12 13:53:10 EST 2011||Sarah Keating||Albany, NY|
|223||Sat Dec 03 22:56:21 EST 2011||heather rowley||Brooklyn, NY|
|222||Sat Dec 03 22:34:19 EST 2011||Andrew Simmons||NEW YORK, NY|
|221||Sat Dec 03 21:58:43 EST 2011||Fredi Lessac||NYC, NY|
|220||Sat Dec 03 17:54:18 EST 2011||Iman Hassan||NY|
|219||Sat Dec 03 11:18:17 EST 2011||James Besante||Belen, NM||“Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services ...”
|218||Fri Dec 02 21:35:32 EST 2011||Robert Stanlel||Bronx , NY|
|217||Fri Dec 02 18:11:53 EST 2011||William Thar||Summit, NJ||New Jersey PNHP supports AMSA and Health Professions students who believe that health care in the U.S. should be a Right not a privilege.|
|216||Fri Dec 02 17:38:04 EST 2011||Sara Whitmore||NY|
|215||Fri Dec 02 11:50:52 EST 2011||Lindsey Fuller||Bronx, NY|
|214||Fri Dec 02 10:53:47 EST 2011||Cora Walsh||new york, NY|
|213||Thu Dec 01 14:10:53 EST 2011||Rebecca MacDonell-Yilmaz||Farmingville, NY|
|212||Thu Dec 01 10:31:31 EST 2011||Joel Levy||Washington, DC|
|211||Thu Dec 01 09:41:07 EST 2011||Jim Recht||Cambridge, MA||Here in Boston, our Health Justice Working Group has worked in solidarity with OccupyBoston to support the occupiers and to educate the broader public regarding health care inequities and how to eliminate More....|
|210||Thu Dec 01 01:09:05 EST 2011||Chris Clifford||Reno, NV|
|209||Wed Nov 30 21:06:51 EST 2011||Sherrie Serrano||NV|
|208||Wed Nov 30 20:25:56 EST 2011||Megan Wichser||Atlanta, GA|
|207||Wed Nov 30 17:49:02 EST 2011||Mary OBrien||New York, NY|
|206||Wed Nov 30 14:25:46 EST 2011||Martin Gagne||Westbury, NY|
|205||Tue Nov 29 22:20:28 EST 2011||Giselle Falconi||long island city, NY|